Volume 16 Part 1 Article 43: Use of Fine Particle Tailings in Mushroom Casing

Volume 16 Part 1 Article 43
Year 2004
Title: Use of Fine Particle Tailings in Mushroom Casing
Authors: R. Noble and A. Dobrovin-Pennington

Abstract:

The amount of peat used in mushroom casing has given rise to considerable environmental concern. In addition, there is a lack of the most suitable black, wet-dug peats in many mushroom-growing countries. Fine particle tailings are a water-retentive byproduct of the coal mining industry, formed from dewatered suspensions of fine particles in coal washings. The aim of this work was to investigate the use of fine particle tailings as an additive in peat-based casing materials. Fine particle tailings were mixed with peatbased casing at inclusion rates of 25 and 50%, v/v. The addition of 25% fine particle tailings to peatbased casing increased the bulk density, but reduced the volumetric water retention slightly. Total mushroom yield in three flushes was unaffected by the addition of 25% fine particle tailings, but yield was reduced by a 50% inclusion. Mushroom dry matter content and firmness were increased and cleanness was unaffected by the addition of fine particle tailings in the casing.

Please login to download the PDF for this proceeding.