Volume 10 Part 2 Article 74: The Development of Cultivated Mushroom in Taiwan

Volume 10 Part 2 Article 74
Year 1979
Title: The Development of Cultivated Mushroom in Taiwan
Authors: Y.H. Han, C.W. Shen and M.S. Ho

Abstract:

Mushroom growing has nowadays become an important business for the farmers in this country. Although, the mushroom growers in Taiwan are rather smaller in scale as comparing with those specialized mushroom growers in other countries, the total mushroom production in Taiwan has increased enormously from 960 M.T. in 1959 to 91,530 M.T. in 1977. The island of Taiwan, Republic of China has become one of the important mushroom producing and supplying countries in the world (table 1).

It is estimated that about 10% of the total production in Taiwan is consumed locally while the other 90% is exported to various countries. It was formerly considered that growing mushroom in a sUbtropical area like Taiwan is a hard joe, because in view of the fact that most of the major common mushroom producing countries such as U.S.A., Belgium, Holland, France, Denmark, Germany, United Kingdom and Japan are located in the temperate zone. Therefore, prior to 1954, canned mushrooms of Agaricus bisporus imported from foreign countries were regarded as a luxurious food which only few people could enjoy. Nevertheless, after repeated failure in mushroom culture, our researchers finally succeeded in developing a synthetic compost which comprised rice straw and chemical fertilizers t substitue for the horse manure in 1954. Consequently, commercial growing of the mushroom has been immediately followed since 1955.

Present increase of unit yield and the steady growth of mushroom production in Taiwan is largely depended on the adoption of new cultural techniques and a new type of mushroom growing house as well as a well planned production-marketing program executed by farmer’s organizations which play an important role in contracting, supplying, collecting and grading of mushroom, as well as extending technical guidance and financial assistance to their 20,000 farmer members in growing mushroom (table 2).

Please login to download the PDF for this proceeding.