Volume 10 Part 2 Article 69
Title: The Metabolism of 14C-Labeled Ethylidene Gyromitrin, a Poisonous Compound in False Morel Gyromitra esgulenta, in Rabbits
Author: K. Savolainen
The false morel, Gyromitra esculenta, is used as an edible mushroom in many countries although the fresh untreated mushroom is highly poisonous. The toxicity of false morel is known to result from the compound acetaldehyde-N- methyl-N-formylhydrazone alternatively named ethylidene gyromitrin, EG (List and Luft, 1968). EG is present in fresh, Finnish, false morel at a level of about 50 mg/kg (Pyysalo and Niskanen, 1977). The acute oral toxicity of EG has been shown to be for rabbits about LD = 70 mg/kg, for rats about 320 mg/kg and for chickens over 400 mg/kg (Makinen et al., 1977) and the short-term peroral toxicity 0.5 mg/kg/day for rabbits and 0.05 mg/kg/day for chickens (Niskanen et al., 1976) .. The molar toxicity of EG for mice is about 3.5 mmol/kg (v. Wright et al., 1978a).
The formation of N-methylhydrazine from EG has recently been detected in both in vitro experiments mimicing the milieu of stomach (Nagel et al., 1977a) and in vivo experiments in the stomach of mouse (Nagel et al., 1977b). More than 25% of EG is metabolically hydrolyzed to methylhydrazine in mice (v. Wright et al., 1978b).
The aim of the present work was to study the ingestion of 14C-labeled EG in the alimentary tract, the distribution of radioactivity in different organs and the radioactive metabolites excreted in urine and faeces, in rabbits.Please login to download the PDF for this proceeding.